Hagerstown, MD (December 10, 2009)
- The Washington County Health Department will hold H1N1 (Swine) flu vaccination clinics. Vaccinations will be available by appointment only. Walk-ins will not be accepted. To schedule an appointment, please call 240-313-3456 on Tuesday, December 15, 2009, beginning at 8:00 a.m. Appointments will be scheduled until all times have been filled.
Vaccinations will be given at the Health Department's main building at 1302 Pennsylvania Avenue, Hagerstown, on Thursday, December 17, and Friday, December 18.
The target groups recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention remain a priority for the health department, although the vaccine is now available to all persons. The target groups include:
- pregnant women
- people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age
- healthcare and emergency medical services personnel
- persons between the ages of 6 months and 24 years old;
- people between the ages of 25 through 64 years old who are at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems
Children under the age of 10 require two doses of the H1N1 vaccine, administered at a minimum of 28 days apart. Individuals seeking a second dose of H1N1 vaccine for children must bring documentation of the date of the first dose.
There is no charge for the H1N1 vaccination. The H1N1 (Swine) flu vaccine used will be in the injectable form and will not provide protection from the seasonal flu.
Individuals seeking up-to-date information regarding clinic schedules should check the Health Department's web site at www.washhealth.org, or call the Department's flu hotline at 240-313-3456 daily for the most current information. Clinics will also be announced through normal media outlets.